Magnetic Bearing Systems
What is a magnetic bearing system designed for?
Magnetic bearing systems are designed for high-performing rotating equipment and would take the place of a hydrodynamic fluid film bearing system. Some of the reasons to select a magnetic bearing system include:
- Elimination of the oil system – improving safety, offering environmental benefits and eliminating ancillary equipment
- Optimized rotordynamic control
- Variable speed operation
- Inherent diagnostic capabilities
- Low energy consumption
- High reliability and availability
- Lower noise emissions
- Reduced infrastructure costs, including the possibility of outdoor installations
- Reduction of total life cycle costs
Magnetic bearing systems are selected for critical applications in oil & gas, including onshore, offshore and subsea; petrochemical operations; nuclear power generation; as well as renewable and developing technologies.